Online Gaming (Xbox Live etc.)
- Don't be rude! Interact kindly.
- Don't scream or swear into the mic.
- Don't be elitist.
- Don't rage. Stay calm.
- Be positive and supportive to the other participants.
- Don't ask for personal information.
- Don't hack or mod!
- Don't mute just one person or exclude people.
- Keep the background noise down.
- Giving spoilers about the game is rude.
- Don't trash talk.
Be aware!! The reality of gaming online is that you will run into people who shout in frustration, troll, swear, and believe there are no rules.
Leaving Blog or Youtube Comments
- No spamming or trolling.
- Don't be a bully.
- Leave a comment that is related to the video / blog post or that asks a question.
- If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!
FaceTime / Skype
- Make sure the area you are in is neat. People can see it through the camera!
- Stay in front of the camera.
- Limit how much you phone and Skype/Facetime.
- Be aware of the time difference if you are Skyping/Facetiming another time zone.
- Watch your language.
- Keep your language appropriate.
- Dress appropriately!
- Be polite.
- Don't swear.
- Don't send hate messages.
- Don't text in class unless your teacher gives the ok.
- Don't disturb people while texting.
- Don't start unnecessary gossip / drama.
- No texting while driving!
- Don't text during dinner.
- Respect your parents rules about texting.
- Don't sext.
- Don't send pictures of other people without permission.
- You don't have to use full sentences or even spell entire words. Text speak is ok!
- Emoticons are cool, but don't send mixed emoticons.
- When you are in a group of people, be careful not to exclude others by texting to some members of the group and not others.
- Don't ignore the people around you to text!
- Keep your text alert on silent mode when appropriate.
Participating in Social Media like Facebook and Twitter
- Be nice!
- Only say things that you would say to someone's face.
- Don't insult people or participate in cyber bullying.
- If you don't want your parents to see it, don't post it!
- No foul language.
- Get permission before you post photos of other people!
Using Cell Phones at a Movie, Wedding etc.
- At school, your cell phone should be off until lunch, or breaks, because it could distract you from learning.
- At a movie, turn if off because it can distract other people while they are watching the movie. If you need to talk to someone, go to the lobby.
- If your job requires you to use a cell phone, you should keep it on, otherwise turn it off while at work.
- At a wedding, you should turn it off because you don't want your phone alerts to detract from the event. During the wedding party/dance it is ok to have it on in case of an emergency, but you still shouldn't be talking on it all the time.
- During a birthday party you shouldn't even bring it. If you do, turn it off or keep it in silent mode if you are worried about needing to be contacted in case of an emergency.
- If you are using your phone to take pictures at a wedding or special event, that is ok, but make sure your phone ringer is off.
- In general, it is polite to go into another room away from the event to speak on your phone if you really need to.
- If you are speaking on your cell phone in a public place, keep your voice down!